Fish Cillin® – Ampicillin – 250mg
Thomas Labs makes Fish Antibiotics in many forms, including: Capsules and Tablets of various strengths and quantities, pure form antibiotic powder of various strengths, and single use powder packets. Each antibiotic is clearly labeled for fish use only and care should be taken when ordering to make sure you are purchasing the right dosing strength in the right form for your application. Please call us at 800-359-8387 for additional clarification, or use our contact form for further information and help.
Fish Cillin® – Ampicillin exerts a bactericidal action on gram positive and some gram negative bacteria. Useful for control of some common bacterial diseases of fish including aeromonas and pseudomonas genera and mysobacterial group (gill diseases, chondrococcus).
Each capsule contains:
Add contents of one capsule (250 mg) into aquarium for each 10 gallons of water to be treated. Repeat in 24 hours. It is suggested that a partial water change be made between treatments. While duration of treatment depends on type and severity of infection, it is recommended that extended medication baths continue for a minimum of 5 days & for not more than 10 days. Discontinue treatment if no improvement is noted within 5 days.
Caution: For aquarium and ornamental fish only. Not for human use. Keep out of the reach of children. Keep container tightly closed and in a cool dry place. Not to be given to fish intended for food use.
Fish Antibiotics Facts and Information-
Fish Antibiotics Forms and Strengths.
- Antibiotics in tablets or capsules- The same USP grade antibiotics produced by companies that also produce antibiotics for human use. Each tablet or capsule is labeled, imprinted, and often color coded with a special code that can be used to identify the type and strength of the antibiotics by doing a simple web search and comparison. Most all antibiotic tablets or capsules come in either 250mg or 500mg strengths and are for use in ornamental or pet fish.
- Antibiotics in pure raw powder form- A 98-99% pure form powder antibiotic with no fillers or carriers. Pure antibiotic powders come in different strengths based on the type of antibiotic and each is labeled with a “per level scoop” dose amount. Pure Antibiotic Powders are helpful for dosing not standard size fish tanks or in situations that require a very specific dosing measurement and the user’s ability to make educated measurements for specific applications.
- Antibiotic Powder in a single use packet- Thomas Labs has created a single use packet with a measured dose of antibiotic powder to help create greater flexibility and convenience in dosing. Instead of a pill, capsule, or self-measurement, single use packets can easily be mixed with fish food or applied directly to the tank with no question about how much antibiotic is being used.
Care needs to be taken to ensure that the right antibiotic, in the right dosing form and in the correct strength is being purchased based upon need and application. Call and ask questions if you have any doubts. 800-359-8387
- What are fish antibiotics?
- Fish antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections in fish. The antibiotics that are used to treat fish are the same or similar as the antibiotics that are provided for human use from antibiotic manufacturing companies, depending on type of antibiotic and form. Antibiotic tablets and capsules used for ornamental and pet fish are the same as the antibiotics dispensed from the local pharmacies for human use, except that they are clearly labeled for fish use only and are not for human consumption.
- If the antibiotics for fish are the same as the USP grade antibiotics that are dispensed from human pharmacies then why are should humans not take them also?
- The law clearly states that any antibiotic for non-human use needs to be labeled as “not for human use” regardless of application. Thomas Labs sources it’s antibiotics from the same USP grade manufacturing as antibiotics used for humans, but we are not doctor’s and do not deal in human health problems. Only a doctor can correctly prescribe antibiotics for specific need in humans. Thomas Labs will take no responsibility in the mis-use of its products made for animals. If a human is sick and needs antibiotics then it is likely that person also needs the expertise and guidance of a doctor.
- If your fish antibiotics are labeled “not for human use” does that mean I can give them to my dog or cat, or other sick animal?
- Thomas Labs makes antibiotics for fish. While it is true that the antibiotics you may be prescribed at the veterinarians office may be exactly the same as the antibiotics we make here for fish, it is likely that if your animal is sick enough for antibiotics then they should be under the care of a veterinarian. Thomas Labs makes no claim to the efficiency or application of our antibiotics in any other animal besides pet or ornamental fish, and takes no responsibility in the mis-use of its products made for fish when used in other animals or humans.
- Why does the price of antibiotics keep fluctuating, and why have some of the most popular antibiotics been taken off the market entirely.
- Because of the demand for antibiotics in all animals and humans, certain antibiotics will be designated to be sold to the human market first and the animal market secondary, or not at all depending on world supply. Other times a popular antibiotic may be completely removed from the market and replaced with a better, more efficient antibiotic. Antibiotic removal is usually tied to the profits of big pharmaceutical manufacturers and whether that product is viable as an efficient medication or profitable product. If an antibiotic is not selling well in the human market then there is little likelihood it will continue to be produced solely because it is still a good choice for animals. Thomas Labs tries to keep as stable a price matrix as possible but we are still subject to the ups and downs of the global economy and world supply.