SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED, WE WILL CALL YOU CONCERNING SHIPPING COST
KiloVault™ – HLX+ Series
Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)
Deep Cycle Solar Batteries
The First Battery For All Climates !
NEW! The KiloVault™ HLX+ series of solar lithium batteries is the next line of heavy-duty deep cycle batteries for solar applications. The new HLX+ is the first solar lithium battery made for both hot and cold. This premium product offers the features of both the HLX and CHLX series of batteries, at an exceptional value. Key upgrades allow for ease of use and battery bank performance, and premium quality at the same competitive price of earlier models.
Designed with versatility in mind, the HLX+ serves as a drop-in replacement for lead-acid batteries in a renewable energy system, providing more energy and a higher cycle count with less weight. They also thrive in marine, RV, camper, golf cart, medical device, lighted signage, and off-grid applications. The HLX+ boasts some of the highest surge ratings in its class, perfect for kitchen appliances or large power tools.
Continuing with the success of prior versions, the HLX+ offers built-in Bluetooth and the convenient KiloVault HLX app for Android and iPhone, providing easy monitoring of battery health and performance.
- NEW! One battery that works in both hot and cold environments – even down to sub-freezing temperatures
- NEW! 100Ah cells offer double the capacity of the prior version, providing increased power output and efficiency
- NEW! Push-button display allows you to get instantaneous state-of-charge readings, giving you a better understanding of the health of your batteries
- NEW! Optional HLX+ Bridge (Coming Soon!) enables communications between groups of batteries, providing coordinated charging/discharging/heating cycles, as well as balancing
- Flexible – Works in 12, 24 or 48V configurations
- Gives You More – You can use the full battery’s capacity, discharging it 100%
- Long-life – Even after discharging it completely 2000 times, 80% of the capacity remains.
- Maintenance Free – No watering required, or cleaning of hazardous chemicals
Smart Investment – Lower cost per watt-hour/cycle and longer lifespan than lead batteries
- Safer – No thermal run-away issues as with other lithium technologies
- Integrated Bluetooth – KiloVault HLX app makes monitoring battery health and performance easy
- 7.5 Year Limited Warranty (see DOCUMENTS tab)
|Specifications:||1200 HLX+ UL||2400 HLX+ UL||3600 HLX+ UL|
|Rated Energy Capacity (Watt Hours)||1200 Wh||2400 Wh||3600 Wh|
|DC Voltage Nominal||12.8V|
|Nominal Amp-Hour Capacity||100 Ah||200 Ah||300 Ah|
|Optimal Charger/Inverter Settings||Bulk/Absorption: 14.0V +/- 0.2V
Float: 13.4V +/- 0.2V
Low Voltage Cut-Off: 12.0V
Equalization: Disable. Do not use.
(Battery will shut down into protection mode)
|Maximum Cut-Off Voltage||14.6 – 15.2V|
|Minimum Cut-Off Voltage||10.0 – 11.5V|
|Continuous Discharge Current||100A||150A||200A|
|Max Charge Current||80A||150A||200A|
|Max Discharge Current (Continuous)||100A||200A|
|Peak Discharge Current (<3 secs)||350A||500A|
|Standard Charge Current||50A||100A||150A|
|Discharge Cut-Off Voltage||10.0 +/- 0.2V|
|Operating Temperature||Charging: 32 – 113°F (0 – 45°C)
Discharging: -4 – 131°F (-20 – 55°C)
|Optimal Temperature||59 – 95°F (15 – 35°C)|
|Low Temperature Protection||Charge protection at 0°, release at 4°C
Discharge protection at -20°C, release at -10°C
|Cycle Life||5000 (80% DoD); 2000 (100% DoD)|
|Battery Management System||Monitors and optimizes charge & discharge for each cell, provides overcharge, over discharge, temperature and short circuit protection|
|Monitoring||Bluetooth HLX iT app|
|Self-Discharge Rate||≤3% per month|
|Minimum Load to Prevent Sleep||250 mA per HLX+ in series|
|Maximum Configuration||4 parallel strings of 4 series batteries
(16 total – with use of required HLX+ Bridge * See FAQ below)
Otherwise, max of 4 batteries can be used
in series OR parallel, but NOT both
|Max Time Between Charges||6 months|
(L X W X H)
|12.5 x 6.5 x 9.25in
(318 x 165 x 235 mm)
|19.9 x 6.7 x 10.1in
(505 x 172 x 255 mm )
|20.5 x 11 x 9.25in
(521 x 280 x 235 mm)
|Weight||25.8 lbs (11.7 kg)||59.5 lbs (27 kg)||88.2 lbs (40 kg)|
|Compliance Certifications||Certified ETL to UL Standard 1973; UL1642; UN38.3; IEC62619; CE; OSHA 18001/ISO45001; ISO 9001/1400|
|Maximum Altitude||3000 meters|
IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ FIRST – BEFORE COMMISSIONING YOUR SYSTEM!
1) Each battery must be individually charged to 14.0V before placing it into operation with other batteries. Otherwise, the batteries will independently hit ‘full’ or ‘empty’ and shut off before others in the same battery bank.
2) Equalization charge must be turned off in your solar charge controller or AC charger. If left on, the equalization charge will raise the voltage too high, damage the batteries and void the warranty.
3) Bulk/Absorption charge voltage should be set to no higher than 14.0V for a 12V system, 28.0V for 24V system, and 56.0V for a 48V system (and lower for high amp chargers). Going any higher risks one or more batteries automatically shutting off in a high voltage protection mode.
4) Similarly, the ‘Low Voltage Cut-Off’ on the inverter should be set for no lower than 12.0V, 24.0V and 48.0V for a 12V, 24V and 48V system, respectively. Going any lower risks one or more batteries automatically shutting off in a low voltage protection mode.
5) When turning on breakers to inverters, charge controllers, battery monitors, etc. connected to the batteries wait 45-60 seconds between powering up each device. The KiloVault’s battery management system has special circuitry to detect short circuits and protect itself. Many brands of inverters, charge controllers and battery monitors will present a very high but very brief surge that can be interpreted as a short. The KiloVault can handle one of these ‘shorts’ every 45-60 seconds.
Alternatively, in most circumstances all devices can be powered up at once but the batteries will go into auto-protect mode and turn off for 30-60 seconds but then restart normally.
6) Be sure to tighten the battery terminals before operating. Failure to do so will lead to the terminals overheating, melting the case and potentially cause a fire.
7) VERY important to unbox batteries and give them a full charge as soon as you get them, even if you’re not going to commission them right away.
*KILOVAULT HLX COMPATIBILITY MATRIX:
|HLX V1||HLX V2||HLX V3||CHLX||HLX+|
|HLX V1||Use Surge Adapter on V1||Use Surge Adapter on V1 and V2||Use Surge Adapter on V1||Maybe – Use Surge Adapter on V1, plus, Only if bank stays above freezing||No|
|HLX V2||Use Surge Adapter on V1 and V2||Use Surge Adapter on V2||Use Surge Adapter on V2||Maybe – Use Surge Adapter on V2, plus, Only if bank stays above freezing||No|
|HLX V3||Use Surge Adapter on V1||Use Surge Adapter on V2||Yes||Only if bank stays above freezing||No|
|CHLX||Maybe – Use Surge Adapter on V1, plus, Only if bank stays above freezing||Maybe – Use Surge Adapter on V2, plus, Only if bank stays above freezing||Only if bank stays above freezing||Yes||No|
altE Tips and FAQ – KiloVault Battery:
IS IT GOOD TO INSULATE THE KILOVAULT BATTERY ?
It’s the same with any type of battery. Because batteries heat up when they charge, if you insulate the box they are in, it will retain the heat better and the batteries will stay warmer. But make sure to remove the insulation in the hot months, as overheated batteries will have a shorter life.
WHAT IS THE BEST OPERATING AND STORAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THE KILOVAULT?
The optimal temperature range overall is 59 – 95°F (15 – 35°C). Installation location temperatures must be greater than 32°F (O°C) and less than 113°F (45°C). The battery will not charge below 32°F (0°C) to protect itself from damage.
WHAT ARE THE RECOMMENDED CHARGE CONTROLLER/INVERTER SETTINGS?
See the MANUAL in DOCUMENTS tab above.
ARE THERE ANY CONSIDERATIONS WHEN WIRING THE BATTERIES IN PARALLEL?
Yes – the maximum configuration is 4 parallel strings of 4 series batteries (16) – but only with use of the optional HLX+ Bridge (coming soon). Otherwise, max of 4 batteries can be used in series OR parallel, but NOT both. In addition, when adding another parallel row of batteries to an existing one, it is important to maintain all parallel series strings within 0.2V of each other. Before adding a new row of batteries to an existing one, charge all batteries to 100% first.
*Also, if you are not using the Bridge and the installation will stay above freezing, then the HLX+ can be be wired together up to 4 parallel strings of 4 batteries (16). If not using the Bridge, and the installation will go below freezing, then they can be wired up to 4 batteries in series, or 4 batteries in parallel, but not both. So no 2×2, 2×4, 3×2, etc, battery banks.
CAN I MIX AND MATCH MODELS OR BRANDS?
No – this is not good practice with any battery bank. Because of new and improved battery cells and BMS, the HLX+ line is NOT backwards compatible to the HLX line.
SHOULD I DO AN EQUALIZATION CHARGE ON THE BATTERIES?
No- much like AGM batteries, an equalization charge could damage them by overcharging them.
ARE THE BATTERIES SHIPPED FULLY CHARGED, OR DO I NEED TO CHARGE THEM?
No – shipping guidelines do not allow deep cycle batteries to be fully charged during shipment. **Before you put the batteries into operation they must ALL be charged to exactly the same voltage (choose a voltage between 14.0-14.4,V but make sure they are *ALL* the same). This will ensure you start with an even charge across the battery bank. Suggested battery charger (cables not included with this charger but are available – use item code ALTCC-6AWG-60RB). We do NOT suggest using the Iota IQ-LIFEPO Smart Charger accessory for use with KiloVault batteries because the charge voltage is too high.
CAN I DO A CONSTANT TRICKLE CHARGE ON THE BATTERIES?
Storing the batteries with a constant small trickle charge is not recommended. Unlike lead-acid batteries, lithium iron phosphate batteries self-consumes energy at such a low rate (0.020 amps or about 6 Watt-hours/day), the battery can be easily over-charged if put on a trickle charger. Over-charging the battery triggers the over-charge protection – shutting it down until the voltage goes down enough by itself. Once that happens the trickle charger would quickly raise the voltage up too high once again. As a result, the constant cycling of this circuitry will shorten the life of the entire battery.
IS IT BAD TO OVERCHARGE OR OVER-DISCHARGE THE BATTERY?
Yes, this will decrease the life of the battery. It’s recommend to never discharge or charge the battery to the point where it has to shutdown to protect itself.
IS THERE FIRMWARE THAT NEEDS TO BE UPDATED?
There is an Update Kit that is available. Please call your sales rep if:
– After properly calibrating the battery(s) state of charge, the battery may falsely report gradual increases or decreases of the SoC to the HLX iT Mobile app.
– Under certain low-load conditions, the batteries may periodically re-boot themselves, and although they will restart automatically, it may require having to manually restart the connected equipment.
– The Update Kit will add the latest firmware version, and address the issues above. In addition, this firmware update will ensure the compatibility with KiloVault’s upcoming inter-battery communication network with the new HLX+ Bridge coming out. You will 1st need to register your batteries on the KiloVault website. You can enter multiple batteries of the same model in a single registration. You will also see a selection on the registration page, to request your free update kit. Once registered, our Tech Support team will check the version of your batteries, and send out the proper update kit.